BBQ Pork Roast recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Pork Shoulder Roast –2 – 8-10 lb. each (Also known as a Boston Butts)
- Brown Sugar – 1 cup
- Kosher Salt – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Black Pepper – to taste
- Apple Juice – 64 oz. bottle
- Flour – ½ cup
- Plastic Wrap
- Aluminum Foil
- Turkey Baster
1. 12-24 hours prior to cooking, mix brown sugar and salt in a bowl.
2. Cross hatch the fat cap on each roast. (Cut 1” wide strips in the fat cap – front to back and side to side. Avoid cutting roast)
3. Take ½ cup of rub and apply to fat cap of each roast pressing into cross hatch cuts. Apply the remainder of the rub to each roast.
4. Double wrap each roast in plastic wrap.
5. Place in refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
6. Remove roasts from refrigerator and unwrap.
7. Slice onion.
8. Place sliced onions on the bottom of the roasting pan. Put pan grate on top of onions.
9. Apply black pepper to both sides of roast.
10. Place roasts fat cap up on the top of the grate.
11. Bring grill temperature up to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Place coals to the side for indirect cooking.
12. Place roasts opposite hot coals for indirect cooking.
13. Fill the bottom of the roasting pan with water.
14. Cover grill and cook 5-6 hours or until internal temperature reaches 190 degree Fahrenheit
15. Maintain 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Add hot coals as needed.
16. After 1 ½ hours of cooking, remove lid and baste both roasts with pan drippings. Add water or apple juice to pan. Place cover back on grill.
17. Cook for another hour and baste again. Be sure to add more apple juice or water.
18. Rotate pan 180 degrees for even cooking (only if charcoal is on one side of grill).
19. Continue to baste roasts every 45 minutes and add liquid to pan as needed.
20. Roasts are done once an internal temperature of 190 degrees Fahrenheit is reached.
21. Remove roasts from grate.
22. Wrap each roast in aluminum foil and allow to rest 1 hour.
23. You can use your favorite gravy or follow this recipe.
24. Pour remaining pan drippings in a sauce pan with two cups of water.
25. Mix 1 – 1 ½ cups of water with flour and mix thoroughly.
26. Add flour paste slowly to sauce pan with drippings stirring constantly.
27. Place pan over coals to heat and thicken. Stir occasionally.
28. After one hour, remove roasts from foil and cut out the bones.
29. Slice roasts for serving.
30. Serve with gravy, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, or macaroni salad.
31. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!
Author and Credits: BBQ Pit Boys